Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Waiting for the phone to ring

I like my primary psychiatrist. He's personable, savvy, and smart. He's also busy, often too busy. Unless I come to my appointments well prepared, we can spend most of the 15-minute session setting our context from the last meeting. (Nearly all of my appointments are 15 minutes long and focus on medication management.) Usually, he's very good at getting back to me on the phone, within a couple of hours. On occasion, however, I can wait a day and sometimes two before he calls. (If there was a real crisis, I could go to Emergency Mental Health.) Nevertheless, it's a long time to wait.

It's also difficult to wait by the phone. When I called on Monday, I provided my home phone number because I was going to be at home for the rest of the day. Today, however, I have errands to run. So, I have forwarded our home phone to my cell phone. We have this nifty software service from Verizon called iobi. With iobi, we can manage our incoming calls - forward, block certain numbers or people who have masked their caller ID information, review voice mail online, and a bunch of other stuff. There's no problem that can't be made more complicated by a piece of software.

No comments: