Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A hard day follows

It's not uncommon for me to have a tough day or two after an ECT. I don't know why it happens, but it does. I woke at 12:30AM, snoozed for a bit on the couch between 2 and 4, and snoozed again a couple of times between 6 and 9. I can't tell if I'm sleeping badly because I'm low or low because I've been sleeping badly. At any rate, today is not a day to work with sharp objects.

This was the first time that I missed one of my stress reduction classes, but I'll be able to attend the evening class on Thursday. The classes have been quite a bit of help, giving me a firewall that helps prevent me from spiraling too far down. One of the techniques, a three-minute breathing meditation, is particularly helpful because I can use it almost anywhere at any time.

So, what does a hard day look like. Well, I've described depression as being wrapped in a wet, wool blanket. The effect is both frustrating and wearying on body, mind, and spirit. What I get done happens slowly, often with missteps that consume time and energy. On such days, it's important to dial back the expectations for the day, invoking the three-thing rule: try to do three, and only three, things for the day.

My three things:

  • Pick up and stack another load of wood.
  • Schedule a service appointment for my car.
  • Think of the third thing to do.

1 comment:

eba said...

Karl, thank you for your detailed description of the ECT sessions. And thanks also for making me laugh on one of your worst days (item number three on your list did it for me). i'm most grateful that you're working at this and i'm pleased to hear that the classes are helping -- a real godsend, I think.