Thursday, July 12, 2007

If you're a nerd and depressed, ...

For the last six months or so, I've used a numeric scale to track my mood, energy level, and mental sharpness. I started out using a modified version of the pain scale that medical professionals often use to assess pain. I gave each day a number on a scale from 0-10, with 0 meaning no problems and 10 being fully incapacitated. Initially, Sandra and I used that daily number as a part of our evening discussion about my day. I also used it with the various doctors to give a concise answer to the troubling question, "How are you?"

Later, I found that 0-10 was too wide of a range, so I started using 0-7. I keep these numbers on the family calendar and in an Excel spreadsheet, also noting any other events such as a change of medications or an ECT.

My worst number has been a 6, my best a 2. The running average has been trending in the right direction, from an average of 4 in April to 3.5 recently.

A few observations on this method of tracking:

  • The number is a highly-subjective composite number. Ideally, I would have separate numbers for mood, energy, and cognition. This method, however, was easy and allowed me to answer a simple question, "What's your number?" with a simple answer, "3.5."
  • When I was going to work, I found that that a 3 was the minimally acceptable number for me to function. If I tried to work on a 4 day, I'd find that I'd make a lot of mistakes or just stare off into space, unable to make decisions or complete tasks.
  • I found that I would typically have a couple of tough days after an ECT, but would then get better than I had been before the treatment.
  • I will probably start tracking my sleep hours as well. Early-waking has been a chronic problem for me for quite some time. A couple of days of waking at two or three in the morning will eventually translate into troubled days.
The spreadsheet is easy to maintain and the resulting chart updates itself. I can make a copy available if you're interested.

No comments: