Thursday, May 29, 2008

Finding happiness or letting happiness find you


This has been a pretty good stretch - a lot of fun, good energy, and clear thinking. The last couple of days, since my muscle biopsy, have been less so, but, even with the tiredness and discomfort, I'm confident that I'll be back on the right path soon. A year ago, even six months ago, I couldn't have been that confident. It's clear that I'm doing better.

So, what worked? All of it: the ECT treatments last year, the current meds, counseling, loving support from family and friends, time. I needed it all and, with the possible exception of more ECT treatments, I'll continue to need it all. It's easy to get all wrapped around the axle with the dialectic of whether it's mind or medicine that we need. Maybe some folks can get better with one treatment method, but that's not been true for me. It makes it difficult, when there are a lot of variables, to determine which one to tweak when things start going bad again. But, no one said that this was going to be easy.

No comments: