Saturday, May 3, 2008

Would I be reading this if I wasn't sick?

This page, Depression Cures, provides a list of various homeopathic treatments for depression. I pretty much stopped reading at the one that had me drinking my own urine in a cold shower, but toe-wiggling does sound a bit like one of the meditation techniques that I've used with some success.

My opinion on homeopathy, indeed on a lot of topics, is that finding something that works for you is the most important thing. I am cautious, however, and tend to look for treatment that have a fair bit of peer-reviewed (not peerer-reviewed) science behind them. There are tangential treatments, such as the efficacy of cartoons on mood, that can be safely practiced and are likely to bring relief from symptoms with minimal side-effects. Anything that I might ingest, be it apple-cider vinegar or the aforementioned urine-for-a-treat, ought to have some good science behind it. Combining some homeopathic treatments with other medications can be deadly.

No comments: