Sunday, June 1, 2008

Another fine learning experience

A friend once told me that I'd look forward to the hard times for what they had to teach me. Then, as now, I haven't been able to look forward in joy, but,with some work, I have been able to become grateful. This article, Your Wandering Mind on Depression: Being Thankful for depression, goes along the same lines - the things that I need to do to get through and beyond the period of depression can become good and permanent changes in my life after the depressive episode is past.

Of course, it's important to remember that, in order to make any kind of changes, you/I need a certain take-off velocity. The strength to get often has to come from outside agents - meds, therapy, ECT. Without that extra strength, you/I will generally go deeper, rather than climb higher.

With that strength comes enough hope to get the engines running.

No comments: