Thursday, May 8, 2008

Brains of People with Depression Different - Psych Central News

In addition to the key findings of this report, Brains of People with Depression Different - Psych Central News, that people with depression have fewer of the receptors that regulate happiness, there's an interesting note at the end of the article. The researchers are looking for people who are depressed but who are also not taking medication. This is a key problem in many types of medical research - establishing a control group against whom varying treatments can be tested.

Having been through a brief time last fall when I needed to get off of one antidepressant before starting a new one, I can attest that untreated depression is still quite miserable. As interested as I am in the science, I know that I couldn't stand an extended time without treatment.

No comments: