Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Things we shouldn't need to be told

There are quite a few serious warnings associated with EMSAM, the MAO inhibitor that I have been taking:
Emsam in particular and the MAOI class of antidepressants in general have a lot of warnings regarding interactions with foods and other medications. So far, the restrictions haven't been burdensome. It's not a bad idea to avoid cheeses, given the risks of high cholesterol. (Jennie did comment, however, "What's Christmas without cheeses?")

The warnings that come with medication differ slightly from the warnings that are printed by the pharmacy, which, in turn, differ slightly from the warnings shown at the web site of the company that provides our medication insurance. Two out of three say that hot dogs aren't safe. One says that raspberries and raisins pose a moderate risk.

Yesterday, I was at the dentist and needed to receive a topical antibiotic. I was able to use my Blackberry to check on the safety of the antibiotic wrt Emsam (no problem).

So, the principles of common sense and moderation prevail. I won't eat a pint of raspberries in a sitting. The good news of this effort is that the medication seems to be working well. I have had a few nights when I haven't slept well (waking early) and that has the potential of causing trouble. Nevertheless, I continue to have more good days than bad and the good days have been among the best that I've had in a long time.

No comments: