Thursday, January 17, 2008

Are we too happy?

In Praise of Melancholy - ChronicleReview.com: "My fears grow out of my suspicion that the predominant form of American happiness breeds blandness. This kind of happiness appears to disregard the value of sadness."

The author is careful in making the distinction between melancholia and depression. The former is a praise-worthy state of awareness of the true nature of our being; the latter is an often crippling illness. "Melancholia, far from a mere disease or weakness of will, is an almost miraculous invitation to transcend the banal status quo and imagine the untapped possibilities for existence."

Thanks, but I think I'll sit this one out. It reminds me of my childhood friend, Dave, who lit a match so he could see if there was gasoline in the carburetor of his car.

No comments: