Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Post-zap

It was good to be in a familiar hospital with people I know and who were kind. I was also somewhat scary, based on my experience with my last ECT. (The last one took place at another hospital with another set of doctors and other staff.)

I arrived at 7:30, was wheeled into the surgery suite shortly after nine, and went into the ECT room about 9:30. I think it was a bit after 10 when I awakened, although it's tough to tell when I don't have my glasses. Today, it was more difficult that usual to remember the day or time of year (spring vs. summer). I don't think that I really got it until Sandra brought me home.

For the rest of the day, I've had a few sore muscles and an ache on the right side of my head (where the doctor placed one of the electrodes). Before the procedure, I asked about unipolar (electrode on just one temple, with other other on top of the head) vs. bipolor (electrodes on both sides). Doctors prefer unipolar because the risk for memory loss is lower. I'm ready to try the other in the hope of finding more relief.

Sandra and I talked about an upcoming vacation, but I was able to provide much enthusiasm or input. We did enjoy a walk on a nice mid-autumn day.

No comments: