Wednesday, November 21, 2007

How do you spend your days?

Yesterday, a friend asked me how I spent my days. I did have a good answer because a) I couldn't remember some of the things that I've been doing and b) my days and weeks don't have a lot of consistency.

For example, I have attended an outpatient support group on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I couldn't, however, remember why I hadn't attended this past Monday's session. (Sandra reminded me that I met my psychiatrist at the hospital to pick up samples of my new medication.) I didn't attend today because I went back to bed after breakfast and didn't get up until nearly 10.

Some days, such as today, have appointments and errands. I'm writing this from a cube at the car dealer's where my car is having its 15,000-mile service. (I've had this car for less than a year and it's already at 15K miles, even though I no longer have a job.) I've done some grocery shopping, skimmed a lot of junk on the web, and brought in a load of firewood. Later this afternoon, Sandra and I will go for walk along the rail trail. I get some form of exercise almost every day.

I watch TV, although not much, and listen to news shows on the radio. I read some - newspapers and magazines, mostly; I have had a library book for a couple of weeks and just renewed it for a couple weeks more.

There are a lot of computer-related tasks that I attempt, but just a few that I can complete. For example, yesterday, I wanted to set up a backup scheme for our laptop so that we could mirror the system disk on one of our USB drives. In order to do so, I needed to create a new partition on one of the large drives. I stared at the problem for about 20 minutes before realizing that I didn't know how to begin. Our important stuff is backed up safely, but not in the way that I would like to have it.

For most folks, I'm sure that my days seem to be crushingly dull. Getting through a day may not seem like fun or much of an accomplishment, but, for many days, it's all I've got. What do I do for fun? What are my hobbies? Would I like to have sweet potato salad at the Thanksgiving dinner? I can't believe that a simple answer is so much work.

No comments: