Thursday, September 13, 2007

Blue is nice in the sky. In the lips, not so much.

While I was in the hospital, I had an ECT treatment. I'd been scheduled for one at another hospital with another doctor, so the in-patient team thought that it would be good for me to have a treatment as planned. If things had gone as planned.

Three of us left 8East (accompanied, of course) shortly before seven in the morning. I think that my stuff started around eight.

When I awoke after the procedure, all of the muscles in my torso, arms, and neck were very, very sore, so sore that it was difficult for me to take a deep breath. That's just what the staff around me was trying to get me to do, take deep breaths from an oxygen mask. My oxygen saturation level, O2 Sat, the level of oxygen in my blood, had fallen into the 30s. (Anything below 90 is a cause for concern.) Apparently, I'd been 'combative' when I came out of the general anesthesia. No one had or has a good explanation of why that happened. Later that morning, I went back to my room and had supplemental oxygen for several more hours. By evening, my O2 Sat levels were fine. My muscles were sore for a couple more days.

No comments: