Monday, July 14, 2008

Sleep as art, science, or what?

Sunday nights are often not a good night for sleep for me. It's as though I've forgotten how to sleep. Last night was typical. I fell asleep around 9:30, woke an hour later, stayed awake for maybe a couple more hours, and then got up somewhat early (4:30). Even though my mood is pretty good today, I also know that I'm not at my best.
I've been through the stress reduction program and can practice lots of different meditation techniques while waiting for sleep to come. Sometimes I listen to the radio, sometimes not. Last night, I got up and read through the Sunday papers until I felt drowsy.
I used to get mad at my inability not to sleep some nights, but not so much anymore. Getting mad, of course, doesn't do any good.
It might be easier to understand if my sleeplessness came as the result of something interesting - perhaps I'm excited about something, past or future, for example. My head is pretty empty as best as I can tell.
Ah, well, tonight's another night.

No comments: