Monday, April 14, 2008

A day at a time works best when you know what day it is.

About 3:30 this morning, I figured out why I wasn't able to sleep. On Saturday evening, I took Sunday night's pills by mistake. As a result, at bedtime on Sunday, I looked in the pill container, saw that Sunday's slot was empty, and figured that I'd taken my pills but forgotten that I'd done so.

And so, though tired, I went to bed at 9PM and, except for a few snoozes here and there, couldn't sleep. I got up at 2:30, read some of the newspaper, had an early breakfast, and then realized what had happened.

So now, as my mother used to say after one of her sleepless nights, we'll pretend that we're traveling today. I have an appointment with my psychologist this afternoon and several other errands to tend to. It's supposed to be a nice day, so Marley and I will go for a walk.

We used to tease my father because he'd put an X on the calendar to cross off each day. We're finding that a lot of his quirky ideas made sense.

No comments: