Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Michael Moore is a rose-colored-glasses optimist

So I go to the doctor on Thursday and explain what's been going on, that I've been sleeping very poorly, waking at 2 or 3 in the morning and then trying to make do for the rest of the day. The doctor prescribes a medication that might help. It's fast-acting and short-lived so that I can take it at 2 or 3 and still wake at a decent hour.

I bring the prescription to the pharmacy. They say that it'll be ready in a half hour. I come back a half hour. They tell me that the insurance company needs pre-authorization, meaning that the doctor has to explain why I need this medication and why the others that we've used haven't worked.

That was Thursday night. I called the doctor's office on Friday. They said that they'd received the fax from the pharmacy and would send out the information to the insurance company.

It's now Tuesday afternoon, nearly five days later. The doctor's office claims to have sent the material to the insurance company. The insurance company is, like, nuh-uh. The pharmacy says that they'll sell the medication to me for $420 if I wanted to go without the insurance.

Oh, did I mention that it took four days to get a refill on another medication?

1 comment:

eba said...

Wow. It would be nice to have the home phone number of the person at the insurance company who made that decision, just so you can call them at 2-3 am and chat.