Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I was looking for an argument, but I keep getting Hit on the Head lessons*

So, nearly three weeks ago, my doctor wrote a new prescription for me. I brought the prescription slip to our local pharmacy. When I returned an hour later to pick up the medication, the pharmacist said that the insurance company needed prior authorization (the doctor must say that I really need this specific medication at this dosage.) Thus started an egregious violation of the Strange Sketch Act:

  • I've spoken with my doctor's office at least four times. In addition, the pharmacy has spoken with the doctor's office two or three times. The folks at my doctor's office have sent the prior authorization forms to the insurance company.
  • I've received one phone call from the insurance company that says that my request was approved. I've kept the message on my answering machine.
  • I've spoken with the insurance company at least a half dozen times. One time they said that the quantity of the medication was approved, but not the medication itself. Last Wednesday, I submitted an online query, detailing it all in four-part harmony. The email response that's promised within 48 hours has yet to arrive.
  • s been approved, and c) the pharmacy won't be able to place the order.
  • The insurance company's web site reports the following:


  • I've spoken with the pharmacy in person and on the phone at least 10 times. They've not been able to place the order because the insurance company hasn't approved the request. Today, the pharmacist called the insurance company who, in turn, told the pharmacist that they haven't received any information from my doctor regarding the prior authorization.
  • The pharmacist called my doctor's office. My doctor won't be in until this afternoon. I'll call everyone again later today and I'll bet you a nickel that a) my doctor's office will report that they've submitted the request, b) that the insurance company will either claim that they haven't received the request or that it'

* Bowing with reverence to the Monty Python argument sketch (in video) and in text.

No comments: