Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A walk around the block

Marley and I went for a walk this morning. We'd had a rain shower just before dawn, so there were a few small puddles to avoid. The wet roads also made the car tires sound louder. Why, I muttered often, are people in such a hurry. From stop sign to stop light, they'd accelerate hard and then hit the brakes. This is what I've been missing each morning.

I heard some geese overhead, but I couldn't see them. A couple of visits ago, my therapist asked me if I became sad as the days become shorter. No. When I hear or see geese, I remember a line from Joni Mitchell's Urge for Going - "See the geese in chevron flight." It's a sad song and I associate it with autumn, but that's a close as I get to feeling sad in the fall. (I first heard the Tom Rush version and still think of his recording when I think of the song. The BBC has broadcast a three-part series with K. D. Lang talking about music from the cold, hard midlands of Canada. Last night's segment was about Saskatchewan. Lang talks about Joni Mitchell and Urge for Going plays under much of the report.)

We went out early for the walk because I'm waiting for a call back from my new doctor. This past Sunday's Boston Globe had an article about how patients will fire doctors and vice versa. I called my doctor yesterday morning and haven't heard back. This is getting old.

1 comment:

tiffky doofky said...

I love the Tom Rush version of "Urge for Going". I always associate it with Eric Von Schmidt's "Joshua Gone Barbados" - maybe they were on the same album? Early on, I made a mix tape from my parents' albums that had those two songs on it. Perhaps I was a melancholy child...