Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lest there be any doubt that I was in the right place

At our last meeting, my therapist recommended that I join a support group for people living with depression and other related conditions. The group is led by a nurse practitioner/social worker with decades of experience in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). The group meets on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. My therapist thought that it would be good for me to be with people more regularly. I don't have a lot of direct personal contact, mostly because it's been very difficult for me to do so, but also because it's easy for me to drift away. I do get lonely, but the times when I need contact the most are also the times when I'm least able to make contact.

So, yesterday morning, I went to my first group session. When I got to the parking lot of the building where the session would be held, I looked around my car and discovered that I didn't have shoes. Typically, I leave my shoes in the car for those times when I might need them - stores, restaurants, and the like. The previous night, I wore my shoes into the house and left them there. In the parking lot, I pondered for several minutes before deciding that it was better to go the session without shoes than not go at all. A few people asked me, "Where are your shoes?" "At home," I replied.

Notes on language and usage:

It's common to refer to these sessions as "group." "I went to group this morning," said as though group might even be a proper noun (Group). It seems as though there is a grammar rule that lets us know when we should use the article "the," but I can't find or figure it out. For example:

  • I went to school.
  • I went to the store.
  • I went to hospital. (British English)
  • I went to heaven.
  • I went to the woods.
  • I went to camp.

No comments: