Friday, July 3, 2009

Dept. of liver

There are several reasons why I am glad to be taking Emsam®, an MAOI antidepressant:

  • It works.
  • It's easy to use. It's a patch that I change daily. 
  • The dietary restrictions related to MAOIs, although challenging at times, give me an even better excuse not to eat liver.
    There are some folks who have discovered that liver is, to quote, "Energy-boosting, mood-lifting, and frugal."
    Back in the day, my mother believed that liver was good for us and served at least once a week. When she wasn't looking, I gave the liver to the cat or, in one case, hid it in the cupboard. (I forgot to remove it later, which is how she found out.)

1 comment:

eba said...

What child wouldn't be jealous of a good medical excuse for not eating liver :-).

I know a few similar stories -- someone who sat at the end of the table on liver night and threw his meat down the cellar steps to the hungry dog down below. Another was caught several weeks after he'd stuffed his liver into a drawer at the table. His father said "see? We usually catch you at these things, don't we," to which my friend, terrifyingly, said "No."

In any case, I'm glad you have a med in your arsenal that is helping so much. That is the best news of all.