Monday, August 25, 2008

A year later

This time last year I was in the hospital, 8-East at UMass. I can't really tell if that's a long time ago or not. If we measure it by the amount of change (new psychiatrist, new meds, overall improvements), then it seems like a lot. As we get older, however, a year passes quickly, no matter what the circumstances might be.
The hospital stay was an important part of my recovery. It brought a new focus to my treatment, notably by first having a team at the hospital that instituted a new treatment regimen, which led to a change of psychiatrists and a new anti-depressant. (The anti-depressant, Emsam, is an old class of medication delivered in a new way.) With continued counseling and bouyed by the amazing support of Sandra, the rest of my family, and friends, I've been able to make good progress. I can now think about the future; this time last year, I could barely think about what I'd be doing after lunch.
I first heard the phrase, "It takes a village to raise a child," at a church conference in Bridgeport, Connecticut in 1990 or so. It made sense then and it makes sense now, whether we're talking about a child or about any person in any kind of need. I live in a good village.

No comments: