Sunday, August 24, 2008

It's a good day, even if the piano is silent.

A. chastised me a bit because I posted a link such as this when I hadn't written anything here for nearly a month. Point well-taken.
In sum, I'm doing well, better for a longer stretch than any time in more than a couple of years. A. will usually ask me, "Out of seven days, how many days are good days?" For the last month, it's been six or seven good days in a week. The tough days (which aren't so very tough when compared to any days, say, this time last year) are most often triggered by bad sleep. We still don't know the combination of psychological, chemical, and environmental factors that can predictably lead to good sleep.
The current meds, combined with the cumulative effects of previous treatments (ECT, CBT, M-o-u-s-e), let me say, without a wild tangle of equivocation, that I'm doing pretty well.
A guy is in his hospital bed after surgery. The doctor comes in, reviews the charts, and says, "Very good."
"Will I be able to play the piano when I get out of here, Doc?" the patient asks.
"Certainly," says the doctor. "I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do that."
"Great. I never could before."
So, let's enjoy these better days. There's plenty to do, even if playing the piano isn't on the list for today.

No comments: