Sunday, September 13, 2009

Got lucky

No, not in that way.
Last night, my wife and I had a date night. We dressed up a bit and went to dinner at a favorite Thai restaurant. The place opened last December and has been very successful, so we went early to eat without having to wait or hurry.
We'd worked hard during the afternoon, attending to some long overdue chores inside and outside the house. As a result, we were hungry. We shared an appetizer platter before order our entrees. My wife likes a chicken and squash dinner. Most of the time, I've ordered the Massman curry with chicken or beef. This night, however, I selected the panang curry. It was delicious. I think that the regular recipe was supplemented with a bit of anise, a sweet licorice aftertaste.
About one in the morning, I woke with a pretty bad headache. I got up, went downstairs, and, while waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in, I put an ice pack atop my head. The cold felt very good.
A short while later, I looked up the recipe for panang curry and learned that it's made with fish sauce, which is a fermented product. Fermentation produces a chemical called tyramine. For someone, such as yours truly, who is taking an MAO-I antidepressant, tyramine can be deadly. I was fortunate that the amount of fish sauce in the dinner was small enough to produce just a bad headache.
The menu description didn't mention fish sauce:

Panang Curry Choice of chicken, beef or pork in Panang curry with string bean, carrots, basil leaves and kaffir limes leaves.
Had I known, of course, I wouldn't have ordered it. Now I know.
A big part of the problem is that I didn't think to ask what was in the curry. Other curries, Thai and south Asian, have been fine - delicious and safe. It's not that I didn't know, but that I thought that I knew.
I got lucky.

No comments: