Thursday, August 6, 2009

For science

Yesterday I met with a team from UMass Medical School that is researching treatment-resistant depression (TRD). I have applied to be a participant in a registry of patients with TRD whose progress (or lack of) will be compared against people receiving Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) therapy. I won't be receiving VNS therapy or any other treatments; I'd be part of the control group. As a result, there's little risk and a good chance to be a part of some important research. More about the registry here: http://www.trdregistry.org/.
The meeting yesterday lasted nearly two hours, covering my history of depression and the various treatments that I've tried, noting how well each treatment worked. It was a bit odd to try to define each 'episode' of depression. The last three years, for example, can be chunked into several episodes, based on the treatments that we've tried. I also see it as one long episode that hasn't ended. (Even though I'm doing pretty well much of the time, there's no doubt that I'm still dealing with depression as a regular part of my daily life.)
In addition, the renewed and detailed discussion about my depression history was wearing. I'd had awakened from a bad dream yesterday morning, a dream about misjudging my abilities and overestimating how much people wanted to hear about what I thought about everything, and so went to the interview feeling off my game. I found myself tearing up a few times as I recounted various parts of my life, but those feelings passed quickly and the rest of the day was pretty much ok.
Within a couple of weeks, I should find out if I've been accepted into the study. If so, I'll have interviews every three months for a couple of years and twice-yearly interviews for a few more, totaling 14 over five years.
I could not have predicted, five years ago, that this is how my life would be and so I'm doing even going to toss out a wild guess about what things will be like five years hence. I'll just keep showing up.

2 comments:

michelle said...

Wow sounds like a fascinating study. I guess I am "lucky" in that as along as I take my meds, they do help. I hope that you can find some insight from this study. Mostly I really liked the last line of your post, "I'll just keep showing up" Really isn't that all any of us can do? Right now I am feeling like that on many levels, work, finances etc. One day at a time, show up and be present.

...... said...

UMass Medical Psychiatry Department has had a long history of abuse of their patients as well as multiple female professors. One female patient was a victim of manslaughter in an unethical research study that was halted when the Boston Globe reviewed it.

They refuse to abide by patient care standards and retaliate against anyone who would hold them accountable.